A Guide to Wearing Updos With Extensions
Updos are elegant and timeless. They are the perfect hairstyle solution for all sorts of hair, including long, medium, and short hair. And from prom to wedding, this creative way to style your locks is sure to make you look gorgeous for all occasions.
But what if you’re wearing hair extensions? Can you wear updos with extensions? If yes, the question remains — how to put your hair up with extensions?
The great news is that there are many updo hairstyles to pull your hair into with different types of hair extension methods. Let’s have a look at some of the trendy updos to achieve with most types of extensions, including Halos, clip-ins, and tape-ins.
1. Twisted Bun
This messy, twisted bun is a low-maintenance updo hairstyle to rock on any occasion. While it looks lovely, styling it to perfection takes time for women with low-volume hair. We recommend Halo hair extensions for this low, messy bun hairstyle.
- Put in your halo extension and gently brush it together with your hair.
- Part your hair in the center and brush at the crown to add more volume.
- Grab all your hair and pull it back, holding it in a ponytail position at the rear of your neck.
- Use a hair tie (halfway through the hair) to keep the ponytail in place.
- Cver the hair tie with the loose hair by tucking in the strands.
- Tease the bun to add more volume. At the top, loosen it a bit to make it look a little messy.
- At the front, pull a few strands on the left and right sides to give your face a beautiful frame.
2. High Bun
The high bun is yet another lovely updo hairstyle to wear with extensions. It looks elegant, chic, and sophisticated. But again, you need enough hair volume to create this style. Use wrap-in ponytail extensions or a Halo extension to pull your hair into the high bun updo.
- Before wearing your extensions, add some messy curls to them. Also, do the same with your natural hair.
- Backcomb and tease the hair at the top of your head to add more volume.
- Take your hair and pull it into a loose pony at the crown area. Be sure to leave a few loose strands at the front for face-framing.
- Now wrap your clip-in ponytail extensions around the base of the high bun, and you’re good to go!
- If you’re using a Halo extension, be sure to take out the wire and instead use bobby pins to add the weft to the high bun. Pin one side of the hairpiece under the ponytail and cloak the Halo around the bun’s base.
3. Braided Ponytail
This is a regular ponytail with a bit of variation. But no doubt, it is a cute, refined, and graceful updo hairstyle. You’re free to wear it as a casual hairstyle or add accessories for a more formal look.
- Apply your hair extensions to your hair. Use enough wefts to make your hair bulky and voluminous.
- Curl the hair to add bounce and extra volume.
- Take your hair and create a low ponytail. Use a hair tie to secure the pony and create loose braids, stopping an inch from the bottom.
- Pull out the braid so it looks broad and dense.
- Don’t worry if some strands come loose because it will give your hair a messy and natural look.
- At the front, pull one strand from the right side and another from the left for a gorgeous face-framing, and your beautiful braided ponytail is ready.
4. Half Up, Half Down
This updo is an easy, classic, and adorable hairstyle that works for almost all face shapes. Even if your hair is thin, you can wear this style with hair extensions to make it look thicker.
- To start with, make sure to apply your hair extensions a bit lower than you usually do. This trick helps hide the hairpiece, making your hair look natural.
- Take a small segment of hair from the top of your head and pull it into a ponytail while leaving enough hair behind to cloak the extension at the rear.
- Tie the pony tight enough to achieve sufficient volume at the crown area. You can even tease the pony, pulling out some strands to give it an extra oomph.
- Create some curls in your remaining hair for a more natural and bouncy look.
- Give your updo a finishing touch by tying a scrunchie around the base of the ponytail.
One of the best and easiest ways to add oomph to your updo is with a ponytail extension from ZALA. Shop our range of clip-in ponytail extensions here.